Wednesday 23 November 2011

Vintage Montreal

I'm back from a fantastic trip to Canada, where the boy and I saw bits of Montreal, Quebec and Toronto. It's already a week since we arrived home, and I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things.

I thought I'd start with a little vintage post. We found (with much help from our lovely friend and tour guide) that Montreal is scattered with antique and vintage shops. We spent a good few afternoons perusing them, and I was amazed at the amount as well as the contrast of finds.

On our second day in Montreal, we wandered around the Mile End. An up and coming trendy part of town, that's kinda cool because its a little bit edgy. One place we spent rather long in was Monastiraki; Le Petit Monastere. Part gallery, part shop, filled with curiosities and an amazing retro comic collection! 
 
 As well as numerous vintage shops, Montreal also has a great selection of antique shops. Chandeliers everywhere! I was struggling not to buy them.
This was actually just a cool dog on the balcony of our friend's very cool Montreal apartment!


 My favourite little run of vintage shops was somewhere along Rue St-Laurent. Four shops all in a row, and each with a completely different atmosphere. This one here on the left is Rokoko. Loved it! Totally kitsch and ridiculous, but it made me smile as soon as I walked in. It was like entering Del Boy's apartment, and it really made me want a tacky bar in my living room!

I managed to get through all of the vintage shops without really buying very much.. I was quite tempted by lots but trying to be sensible at the same time. Saying that, I did make one ridiculous purchase in an antique shop close by to our friends house where we were staying... a 1920's Underwood typewriter! We didn't manage to bring it home of course, it weighs a ton. *Courier suggestions from Canada much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment